did a talk ay pycon on jax. check out the recording!
projects, ga, jax
rather than use all 13 channels in a multi spectral image for classification can we train a model that is robust to all combos, at all resolutions, and use a genetic algorithm to choose which are the most valuable? (spoiler; yes)
quick_hack, tpu, jax
a quick hack to see how fast we can get a v3-32 pod slice cranking with a global batch size of 170,000; tl-dr pretty fast!
tpu, ensemble_nets, jax, projects, haiku
a 4 (and a bit) part tutorial / colab / screencast series starting with jax fundamentals working up a data parallel approach to running on a cloud tpu pod slice... all focused on solving the toughest problem in machine learning; 1d y=mx+b
objax, jax, projects
a series of small experiments on using focal loss to do out of distribution detection
gan, jax, projects, objax
a GAN experiment to generate dithers for an eink screen minimising pixel change between frames for a very slow movie player.
objax, projects, ensemble_nets, jax
ensemble nets; using jax vmap to batch over not just the inputs of a model but also sets of multiple models parameters.
an objax tutorial on using metric learning for image similarity.
random embedding networks can be used to generate weakly labelled data for metric learning and they see a large benefit from being run in ensembles. can we represent these ensembles as a single forward pass in jax? why yes! yes we can!
ensemble nets : training ensembles as a single model using jax on a tpu pod slice(sept 2020)
bnn : counting bees with a rasp pi (may 2018)
drivebot : learning to do laps with reinforcement learning and neural nets (feb 2016)
wikipedia philosophy : do all first links on wikipedia lead to philosophy? (aug 2011)
cartpole++ : deep RL hacking with a complex 3d cart pole environment (aug 2016)
malmomo : deep RL hacking on minecraft with malmo (jan 2017)
some papers from my time at google research / brain...
- Natural Questions: a Benchmark for Question Answering Research
- Using Simulation and Domain Adaptation to Improve Efficiency of Deep Robotic Grasping
- WikiReading: A Novel Large-scale Language Understanding Task over Wikipedia
my honours thesis
the co-evolution of cooperative behaviour (1997) evolving neural nets with genetic algorithms for communication problems.
- latent semantic analysis via the singular value decomposition (for dummies)
- semi supervised naive bayes
- statistical synonyms
- round the world tweets
- decomposing social graphs on twitter
- do it yourself statistically improbable phrases
- should i burn it?
- the median of a trillion numbers
- deduping with resemblance metrics
- simple supervised learning / should i read it?
- audioscrobbler experiments
- chaoscope experiment